December 2011 Archives
"Victor seems to have it all together - good looks, his own brand and marketing company, and life in L.A. But appearances can be deceiving, because in reality, he's broke, living out of his van, $93,000 in debt and still looking for the ever-elusive purpose of his life."
- Victor Clay: 29-34 year old white male. A dreamer forced to move back to the trailer park he grew up in.
- Pop: 60 year old black male: Trailer park manager.
- Hope Stevens: 24-29 year old white female. Was engaged to Victor before he left town.
- Curt Stevens: 18-23 year old white male. A painter with cerebral palsy who depends on his sister,who he lives with in the trailer park.
- Shamus Clay: 31-36 year old white male. An alcoholic and thief who sets a bad example for his wife and child.
- Jeana Clay: 31-36 year old white female. Shamus' wife who is considering divorcing him.
- Shay Clay: 10-27 year old white female. Innocent little girl caught in the middle of her parent's fighting.
- Da'rell: 35-40 black male. Hard life of closed doors and missed opportunities that lives alone at the trailer park.
- Harry Katashi: 35-40 year old Japanese male. Second generation American chasing the American dream.
- Kiku Katashi: 35-40 year old Japanese female. Harry's wife. Her Japanese heritage is very important to her and she misses her family and wants to return to Japan.
- Trevor Jenkins: 32-37 white male. Successful congressional candidate who is Victor's childhood nemesis.
We sing the song every New Year's Eve, right? But... what the heck are we singing about anyway?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days of Auld Lang Syne?
Give me your hand, my trusty friend,
And I will give you mine,
Let's drink a cup of kindness now
For Auld Lang Syne.
For Auld Lang Syne, my love,
For Auld Lang Syne,
Let's drink a cup of kindness now
For Auld Lang Syne!
Admittedly, I sang this number for years with a total misconception of message these traditional lyrics seek to implore. Craving to know the meaning of these mysterious words, I did a little research and I discovered the real meaning behind the song and why it has been so popular hundreds of years!
As we ring out the old year and ring in the new, it is our long-honored custom to see the upcoming New Year as another chance for a fresh, clean start in our lives. It a time to relinquish our old habits, forgive wounds and insults of the past, make pledges to ourselves and others to begin anew, to make this year better than the last and forget things of the past. After all, it's a NEW YEAR!
But, what about the words to this old ballad? What wisdom do they convey?
Image by Elke Wetzig via Wikipedia
Image by Fotograf: Lothar Knopp via Wikipedia
Marlon Brando as Stanely Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire (Public Domain Image by Carl Van Vechten via Wikipedia)
I was quite pleasantly surprised when a friend gave me one of the most refreshing Christmas CD's I've heard in a long time! Winter Carols by Blackmore's Night. As soon as I heard the first cut from the album, I was hooked.
I knew that this collection of age-old Christmas Carols, arranged and performed with a Celtic flavor, (one carol even has Gaelic verses,) was right up my alley! Not only the Christmas traditionalist, but also the music traditionalist in me, revels in the sweet medieval sounds of these hauntingly beautiful old songs. In listening to these ancient carols, we get a sense of the time-honored traditions of the holiday and our souls connect with the people of Christmases e're gone.
Dance Theatre of Harlem performs Dialogues (Public Domain Image by Martha Swope via Wikipedia)
- Repertoire includes classical, neoclassical and world-premiere ballets.
- 30+ week contract.
- Health benefits.
- National and International touring.
- Pre-registration recommended.
- Bring resume, headshot and full-body dance photo.
- Women must audition on pointe.
- Audition fee: $20.00 in advance online, or $25.00 (cash only) in person.
- Pre-registration is recommended for those who audition in-person only.
- All ages, shapes, and ethnicity.
- Dress for peace rally.
- Send snapshot, age, contact information
- Put "Peace Rally" in the subject line.
- Low budget SAG film.
- Peace rally scene will be filmed Thursday, December 22 in midtown Marietta.
- Feature Length (Over 61 minutes)
- Shorts (Under 60 minutes))
Early Bird - 2/3/12 - $40Final - 4/23/12 - $50
Early Bird - 2/3/12 - $20Final - 4/23/12 - $25
Image by Sean MacEntee via Flickr
- Send a description about the phenomena that is occuring.
- Information about the building, location, and surrounding town and area.
- History about the building, town and anrea.
- Send your contact information. Name, phone number, address, and email.
Image via Wikipedia
- Be prepared to do sketch comedy.
- Bring headshot and contact information.
Public Domain Image by IFCAR via Wikipedia
Taylor Guitar (Public Domain Image by YDHM via Wikipedia)
Still pondering what might be the ideal gift for the musician or music lover on your list? As the days count down, we sometimes find ourselves at a loss for ideas.
Being a performing musician myself, as well as being married to a bass player/guitarist who also tunes pianos as a primary job, I've become somewhat of a pro at finding great gifts for the musical type.
Check out some of these instruments and accessories that are bound to strike a note in perfect harmony with your favorite musicians, from stocking stuffers to the biggies that Santa himself will be singing along with!
First, a couple of biggies:
- Among the guitarists I know, the sought-after make this year is Taylor. http://www.taylorguitars.com/
These rich-sounding, quality guitars come in many models, both acoustic and electric, and are known for rare burl woods and unusual, artsy inlays. Priced from around $600 for the lowest end acoustic, (the 3/4 scale mini-acoustics can be found for as low as $300,) to about $6,000 for specialty models, (such as the 'Running Horses" inlaid fret board, the pricing is considered mid-range in the guitar world.
Public Domain Image via Wikipedia
- Need 12-18 men and women 18+.
- Be prepared to read from script.
- Scripts can be checked out for 48 hours with a $10 refundable deposit.
- Dress in clothing that you can easily move around in.
- No flip-flops.
Extra being filmed on set. (Public Domain Image via Wikipedia)
Public Domain Image via Wikipedia
"Justina Blessing will suffer the consequences of both parent's actions. She will meet a man Sebastian Blessing, that by all appearances seems to be the opposite, of what she has experienced as a child. What she thinks is a dream come true, will turn out to be a nightmare. Justina will triumph over obstacles, that would have destroyed most women. She will live and she will learn. Hopefully the lessons she learns, will teach all of us about ourselves. What doesn't kill us, should make us stronger. She will prevail, but not without a fight."
* This UP
CLOSE feature is dedicated to the vegetarian community around the world! (Of
which I am a part!) *
Few artists can hold a candle to the blazing flame of Paul McCartney! An all-time megastar with an amazing career of almost forty-five years, the longest ever string of hit songs written by one songwriter, fabulous never-aging good looks, a fan base that has not diminished over the years, but grown, a knightly title from the Queen and a 2011 concert tour, McCartney has certainly made his mark on the world.
Image by jerbec via Flickr
Be there and enjoy the hors d'oeuvres, wine, dinner, dessert, and dancing as well as the Champagne and party favors at midnight. The event will be held in the 5th Floor Ballroom of Lowe's Motor Speedway's Smith Tower."Move over -- or roll over-- Agatha Christie, when Old Courthouse Theatre presents their new mystery dinner show that spoofs old-fashioned whodunits, the medical profession, "female problems," and theater folks!When half the cast of "Murder on the Oriental Rug" bails out, the remaining performers are stuck playing all the roles. During the first act, you'll meet a Shakespearean actor with a drinking problem, a washed-up former child star, a bimbo with a short memory, and a hapless costumer who finds herself onstage -- playing a man."
Image by Omar G! via Flickr
- The film must show Line 39 wines.
- The film must be framed within the idea of a sit-down dinner.
- The film cannot show drinking in excess and must show drinking in a responsible light.
- All people consuming wine must be of legal drinking age.
- Length, style, everything else is up to the filmmaker.
- You must upload the video to YouTube by 1/15/2012
Image by J&R MoviolaUser:Cutterette via Wikipedia
Virginia Madsen (Image by Cirne via Wikipedia)
Image by AndyArmstrong via Flickr
Image by Nick Smith via Wikipedia
Friday, December 9, 2011 ( 9pm-10pm )Stingaree454 Sixth AvenueSan Diego, CA 92101Producer: Renee firstname.lastname@example.org
Bruno Mars (Image by Brothers Le via Wikipedia)
- Rolling in the Deep - Adele
- Holocene - Bon Iver
- Grenade - Bruno Mars
- The Cave - Mumford & Sons
- Firework - Katy Perry
- 21 - Adele
- Wasting Light - Foo Fighters
- Born This Way - Lady Gaga
- Doo-Wops & Hooligans - Bruno Mars
- Loud - Rihanna
- All of the Lights - Jeff Bhasker, Malik Jones, Warren Trotter & Kanye West, songwriters (Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi & Fergie)
- The Cave - Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Marcus Mumford & Country Winston, songwriters (Mumford & Sons)
- Grenade - Brody Brown, Claude Kelly, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Bruno Mars & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Bruno Mars)
- Holocene - Justin Vernon, songwriter (Bon Iver)
- Rollin In The Deep - Adele Adkins & Paul Epworth, songwriters (Adele)