Recently in Composers Category
- Importance of music in film and video.
- Value of a composer vs. the value of a library.
- What producers and directors need to know when working with a composer.
- Live musicians vs. Sample-based performances.
- Music technology.
- How music fits into modern production workflow.
If you are a musician, (like me) you got 'em! It's the promises we make to no one but ourselves this time of year... usually involving being a little more dedicated to our instrument(s), honing our talents, and so many of us, (me included,) promising ourselves that we will Practice! Practice! Practice! Hey! How else are we gonna get to Carnegie Hall, right?
Of course, ALL OF THE ABOVE is on my list of musical resolutions this year! (Just like last year and the year before, and... well. You know as well as I do!)
I DO resolve to be a better musician this year! And I DO resolve to practice more! But... in 2012, I have added another layer to my musical resolutions.
Music is by far my first love. From my earliest memories, I have always dreamt of living my life filled with music, making it my career and my life's ambition. I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to fulfill that dream, at least in part, most days of my life.
We sing the song every New Year's Eve, right? But... what the heck are we singing about anyway?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days of Auld Lang Syne?
Give me your hand, my trusty friend,
And I will give you mine,
Let's drink a cup of kindness now
For Auld Lang Syne.
For Auld Lang Syne, my love,
For Auld Lang Syne,
Let's drink a cup of kindness now
For Auld Lang Syne!
Admittedly, I sang this number for years with a total misconception of message these traditional lyrics seek to implore. Craving to know the meaning of these mysterious words, I did a little research and I discovered the real meaning behind the song and why it has been so popular hundreds of years!
As we ring out the old year and ring in the new, it is our long-honored custom to see the upcoming New Year as another chance for a fresh, clean start in our lives. It a time to relinquish our old habits, forgive wounds and insults of the past, make pledges to ourselves and others to begin anew, to make this year better than the last and forget things of the past. After all, it's a NEW YEAR!
But, what about the words to this old ballad? What wisdom do they convey?
* This UP
CLOSE feature is dedicated to the vegetarian community around the world! (Of
which I am a part!) *
Few artists can hold a candle to the blazing flame of Paul McCartney! An all-time megastar with an amazing career of almost forty-five years, the longest ever string of hit songs written by one songwriter, fabulous never-aging good looks, a fan base that has not diminished over the years, but grown, a knightly title from the Queen and a 2011 concert tour, McCartney has certainly made his mark on the world.
Bruno Mars (Image by Brothers Le via Wikipedia)
- Rolling in the Deep - Adele
- Holocene - Bon Iver
- Grenade - Bruno Mars
- The Cave - Mumford & Sons
- Firework - Katy Perry
- 21 - Adele
- Wasting Light - Foo Fighters
- Born This Way - Lady Gaga
- Doo-Wops & Hooligans - Bruno Mars
- Loud - Rihanna
- All of the Lights - Jeff Bhasker, Malik Jones, Warren Trotter & Kanye West, songwriters (Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi & Fergie)
- The Cave - Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Marcus Mumford & Country Winston, songwriters (Mumford & Sons)
- Grenade - Brody Brown, Claude Kelly, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Bruno Mars & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Bruno Mars)
- Holocene - Justin Vernon, songwriter (Bon Iver)
- Rollin In The Deep - Adele Adkins & Paul Epworth, songwriters (Adele)
Image by Dallas Bittle via Wikipedia
Q: Who has extraordinary musical talent, extraordinary good looks, extraordinary stage-presence as well as world renown, an extraordinary talent for turning classics into ultra-modern, an extraordinarily diverse fan-base, AND just came out with a Christmas album?
A: YES! Michael Buble!
(Okay.... Big swoon!)
Michael Buble... he's the one with the silky voice, the one that hushes all women's conversations the moment one of his songs comes over the radio, the one who sells out every venue he books worldwide, the one who has the very best, youngest and hottest musicians around, both in studio and in his music videos... he's he one! (Move OVER, Frank Sinatra!)
Image by Wikipediavia
Public DomainWikipediaImage by via
- PASTOR: Pastor of the Church, preaches and is very compassionate.
- FIRST LADY: Married to the pastor, (must be a strong vocalist and have an ability to preach)
- KAREN (lead character): A Young Married Woman, very argumentative (must be a strong vocalist)
- ERIC (lead character): A young married man, silly but fed up (must be a strong vocalist)
- TAYLOR (lead character): Hairdresser. Leading a double life (ability to sing a plus, not required)
- OMAR: A womanizer whose temper is hard to handle
- ALISHA: Friend with solid wisdom (must be a strong vocalist)
- YOLANDA: Friend who tells it like it is (ability to sing a plus, not required)
- CHERYL: Friend with solid wisdom, but don't mind telling you what she think (must be a strong vocalist)
- WENDY: Co-worker, who know God but won't go back to church.
- SHAWN: Friend whose past life has caused him to give up on life completely.
- STEPHANIE: Church gossiper, who believes everyone is going to hell but her
- SIS. WILSON: Church secretary and finance committee leader. Very silly (must be a strong vocalist)
- Stage Managers
- Production Manager
- Musicians (keyboardist, drummers, base guitar players)
- Wardrobe Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Adminsitrative Assistant - NEED IMMEDIATELY
T-Bone Burnett (Image by Wikipedia)via
Image by tibchris via Flickr
Check out the current contest. Submissions are due July 7th.
Image by bitzcelt via Flickr
"... Devyani Saltzman, author and daughter of Oscar-nominated filmmaker, Deepa Mehta. In the interview, Devyani described how she once read the now well-known book by The New Yorker writer Philip Gourevitch titled We Wish to Inform You and was so determined to meet with him, that she cold-called him at his New York offices."
In these days of information overload and congested E-mail accounts it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Jasmeet describes some things you can do to avoid this. All the more necessary for anyone in arts and entertainment where transitions from one job to the next are an ever occurring thing.- From "Want to Get a Job? Mail a Letter" by Jasmeet Sidhu -
- :. Radio Airplay!
- . Grand Prize of US$50,000 in Cash & Merchandise!
- . 15 different categories
- . Winners Will Be determined by Top Music Industry Pros